







June 17th
Yesterday began a rather epic day of training and discovery. Rising again at dawn we headed to the beach for a vigorous workout. We generally practice on the far end of the beach beside a gigantic chunk of coral. After literally drenching ourselves in sweat we then proceeded to swim following the shore line for a good hour or so. Sensei then feeling this was sufficient enough for a “pre-breakfast” workout decided that we would head home for some food. We ate massive amounts of eggs filled with mixed vegetables and scalding hot peppers, (which I smothered in ketchup) as to prepare us for our next work out. A jaunt up the mountain!
Rather than using the long winding road to reach our goal we opted for a “shortcut” directly up one of the many mountain passes. We were greeted along the way with many animals belonging to the indigenous peoples of the mountain and quite a few breathtaking views. Climbing straight up we met with a road near the top and used it to return home. Along the way we passed a “reptile zoo” which was more a small private collection but opted against visiting since the price of admission rivaled even the cost of my beloved Philadelphia Zoo, (which by Filipino standards is more than a weeks pay!)
Once home we grabbed a quick sandwich and I tried to nap before our afternoon session began. Sleep for me has been elusive and after tossing and turning for a bit I decided to simply read. Since I finished my last book I have begun reading “Outliers” which explores the idea that timing and background have as much to do with ultra success as IQ and determination. It’s a fascinating book and right now I’m about halfway done…
The rest of the day was training, relaxing in the ocean and then dinner with our friend Dee Dee, a savvy Frenchmen who has lived on the island for thirteen years and speaks five languages! An amazing and captivating story teller Dee Dee runs a dive shop and has been helping Sensei with his deep water certification. Though I hope to get mine as well during my stay here I have been opting out until after Master Rodell arrive, spending the time Sensei has been away to practice independently many of the Arnis moves and patterns that have eluded me during normal training.
I am both excited and terrified of Master’s arrival. (Which has now been slated for Monday) Once he arrives workouts are to double not only in length but also in intensity. I must have a large number of new moves and patterns under my belt in just four remaining days. I believe I am up to the challenge but it hurts my body and brain thinking about it. (Have I mentioned that my blisters are now forming new blisters under the ripped off skin? If not now I have…)
Today has been more of the same routine though after breakfast we headed into town for a few supplies. Again sleep has eluded me but I was able to write this entry and resize some photos of the past two days for you all to see. I will likely post this all around 7pm my time which is 7am for those of you running on Eastern Standard Time. Oh and on another positive note I may have someone from Manila lending me a surf board for the remainder of my trip! Right now I have no idea if there are even any surfable beaches on this island. (Every thing I’ve seen on our side of the island has been reef protected or a very nasty shore break) Never the less it brings up hope! Anyway that’s all for now from the Hell of Martial Arts Boot Camp and the Heaven of South Pacific Paradise!
