Monday, July 27, 2009

Hello again from the South Pacific! It has been a while since I've posted and it's about time to rectify. Until Friday of last week my days were rather routine, up at dawn to train for a few hours then breakfast and sleep followed by more training in the evening and finally dinner and a few drinks with friends. That all changed however when I decided to join a group of French divers on a trip to Baracay. Because Sensei had previous engagements on the mainland I decided to brave the travel by myself. I then discovered that there were no available flights from Manila to Panay but seeing as its just the next major island over from mine I thought I would try to bus and ferry it. This was mistake number one. Leaving at 7am I took one tricycle, a jeepney (pictured below), a van, a cargo ferry and a motorbike only to arrive at the boat terminal around midnight. This meant I had to wait 5 hours for dawn to cross a narrow channel that in all likelihood I could have swam. Falling asleep in front of said terminal I awoke covered in morning dew and rather perturbed. I made it to Baracay but it had taken 22 hours instead of the 10 I was told before I set out...


The Island itself was a bit too touristy and crowded for my taste. While I did get to enjoy some good company and some excellent food for a change I did not however get to go diving! The weather while at times clear was still spotted with bouts of rain and wind causing less than grand visibility. Instead a few of us opted for sailing which was a pleasant change of pace. While my French companions headed home in the wee hours of Monday morning I again unable to book a flight headed out around noon to catch the only available ferry. One would think I had taken heed from my first jaunt but alas I am a slow learner. While this trip was less frustrating in terms finding my way it was no less lengthy. To make a long story short it took me 26 hours this time, with the highlight being my stay at a hostel in Calapan. It was there that I was completely drenched by a storm, argued with a trike driver who tried to bring me to the most expensive hotel in town and befriended some lost Russians who were also headed to Puerto Galara.


All in all a memorable and tiring trip for certain! For now Sensei and Master are still on the mainland and I've gotten to enjoy a week without heavy training. Though the weather has been at times less than agreeable I really haven't been one to complain. Instead I've simply taken the time to fix some things around the house and finish reading my books. I am now the proud owner of a functioning toilet and a cold water shower! Ahhh the excitement of island life! Until I blog again!


PS the picture of me with the "Beer Snorkel" is me getting my unofficial SCUBA certification from my friend and instructor Dorthee at Pacific Divers.

~T